Monday, October 8, 2007

Diagnosis: Blogaphopia

It takes balls to write a blog. To write about a plethora of topics and assume that other people want to read about them.

I've done some ballsy things in my life: I did the equestrian discipline Eventing at a national level (and survived a flip and fall with my horse); I am a yellow belt in Krav Maga (I had to stop after my fourth surgery - a flag football tackle accident); and now I do what TIME just dubbed the "most controversial" yoga - Bikram, which is a practice for 90 minutes in 110 degrees heat.

But writing a blog seems to create the most opposition for me. Usually when I don't like something - I avoid it. I hate doing sit ups, so I don't do them. I can't (more like won't) eat at Subway, so I avoid the place. But with blogs - I don't have such liberties. See, I have to maintain a blog for class, and well, considering that I am trying to graduate with a masters degree in advertising, I should probably give blogs more credit as they are are becoming (if not already) a mainstream media vehicle.

I think blogs are great - I just don't know that I know enough "blog-worthy" info. I was never much a diary writer - so I find it hard to write about something unless it has a purpose. I enjoy reading blogs, however. I even rely on them for research and view them as a credible resource (maybe more so than they really are). And I love how blogs amplify a consumer's voice - especially if said consumer is voicing negative points of view.

So (all good sentences start with "so") - I will try this thing called blogging - but don't blame me if it starts out slow and painful.

KSR

No comments: