Monday, October 8, 2007

A true culture crash

So I was watching my TIVO'd episode of Ultimate Fighter 4 (Hughes vs. Serra) and found it interesting that Hughes brought religion into the Octagon. Matt wanted to instill a harder work ethic in his team, so he had everyone read a book in the Bible. This is a true culture crash because the Bible is the last thing i expected to see on the show or endorsed by one of the fighters. I am not judging - but it messed with my perceptions. I see MMA fighters as these tough, brutal, crazy, dangerous dudes. Seeing them involve religion in their training to hurt their opponents just seemed off to me. but i have to admit - it was a little refreshing to see that these guys really are normal.

then it got me thinking about the stuff we do that brings religion back into or to the forefront of our lives. My senior year in high school (1996) my horse, Petey, and I flipped over a fence. It was number 16 - we had 3 left to go. Prior to that date, my mom had kind of given up on religion. She went to Mass on Easter and Christmas, but really had no intentions of going or practicing beyond that. Then we had the accident. What is it about fear that drives us to some higher being or to find faith? Ever since that day, and especially on every day that I competed, my mother has been to Mass once a week. Makes me wonder what would happen if she stopped going?

KSR

No comments: